- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt to taste
- 1 (8-ounce) package HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Oven Roasted Deli Turkey or Honey Deli Turkey, stacked and chopped
- ½ cup pitted, chopped green olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or Cotija cheese, substitute Feta as desired
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 (14- to 15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook onions, garlic, paprika, cumin, and red pepper flakes 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Season with salt.
- Stir turkey into skillet. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Gently stir in olives, cheese, and raisins.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Place pie pastry on lightly floured surface. Use a cutter or juice glass to cut out 3-1/2 inch rounds, re-rolling pastry as needed to make 12 to 15 rounds. Spoon a scant ¼ cup turkey mixture onto center of each round. Wet edges of dough with a little water; fold over and press firmly to seal. Crimp edge. Place empanadas on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Cook’s tip: Serve hot from the oven, with or without a sauce (a deep green herbal chimichurri is a favorite or offer a spicy tomato sauce.)
This post brought to you by Hormel Foods, LLC. The content and opinions expressed above are those of Lisa Golden Schroeder.